Monday, March 31, 2008

Vintage Cool

I have wanted to make this bonnet forever. Originally I was going to make it with the US cotton I got last week but once it arrived and I saw how thick it was I knew it wasn't the right yarn. In the weekend the girls and I travelled to the nearby city for a birthday party and I *somehow* found myself popping in to Spotlight on my way through.

I bought a ball of Moda Vera bamboo/cotton in a lovely soft pink/coffee/taupe shade knowing it would be perfect.

P4010461

The pattern is from Erika Knights Baby Bloom . It's not as difficult as it appears but does require some attention for the beginning rows. It only took me one night to finish off so is nice and quick. The sewing up part did not go so easily though - the back seam is through the bottom petal and it's hard to get it to line up and look invisible.

P4010465

My only modification is that I have one less petal than the other FOs I have checked out on Ravelry!! I have no idea how that happened. It doesn't look 'wrong' but it has come out quite a bit smaller than the stated pattern size of 6-9mth. It's too small for BabyM 8months. However my little mistake turned out to be a blessing in disguise as I finished this with only a few metres of yarn to spare. If I'd made it bigger I would definitely have run out of yarn. The pattern has satin ribbon tied on the side but I made a simple Icord instead. I wonder if my sewing up would have been easier/neater if it had come out as per the pattern.

The yarn has a lovely drape and is super soft. I used 3.75mm needles which has given the fabric lovely stitch definition. My only gripe with this yarn is that it does split super easily. It is nice to knit with otherwise. Previously I've used it for dishcloths and it's great for that too.

I'm sad M won't get to wear this gorgeous bonnet but I'm sure I will be able to find a home for it. There are lots of new babies on the way this year.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Divine! Looking at the first photograph this would look lovely in a box frame too.

Sharonnz said...

Gor-JUS!!

Diane said...

Oh that's beautiful! I think your seaming looks great.

The Dollars said...

That is adorable!!

erika~ the inspired mama said...

oh, this is gorgeous!! i have 3 friends expecting new babies this fall and i just might knit little bonnets for them :)

i see you are in new zealand~ my close friend moved over there a couple years ago to be near her husbands family. i miss her dearly, but it is absolutely beautiful, so i don't blame her for wanting to stay!

xo, erika~ the inspired mama

Louise said...

wow, just W-O-W. That is so gorgeous. The yarn you chose goes so well with the pattern. Will have to add this to my already too-long ravelry queue...

Anonymous said...

OMG that is soooooooo cute Gabes!!!