Monday, June 16, 2008

Only a month late

I'm trying hard this year to make all my presents and gifts (or at least a good part of). I think something made specifically with the person in mind, with time, effort and love is so much nicer than something cheap and nasty bought at the last minute. So far I'm not doing too bad and can tick off my auntie's birthday, mother's day and lots of new baby gifts.

For DD's birthday last month I promised her a pair of slippers. I let her pick out a pattern and yarn. She wanted ballerina slippers so we went for this Fiber Trends pattern and the last of my stashed Pink Jet.

Unfortunately I assumed (wrongly...doh) that the pattern was a PDF download. Only after DD had her heart set on them did I realise the pattern was a leaflet and would be shipped from the US. Let's just say it cost me significantly more than the $5.95 I thought it was going to be. Lesson learnt!! It also took a little longer than I had expected (funnily enough international post isn't as quick as 'save this file') so they are a little late for her birthday but better late than never!

P6170867

Hmmm maybe I should have vacuumed before I took the photo

The knitting part is relatively easy - knit loose as you like and make a giant clown slipper, then chuck it in the machine (so fun and yet somehow it feels sooooooooo wrong!). The first one took an age to felt down to size and I was beginning to think I had made a big yarn choice mistake but it got there in the end. The 2nd slipper I made a size smaller and it felted to size with much less effort (and hot water!!). I finished them off (as requested by her highness) with some felted flowers which I loosely based on this great pattern.

P6170869

The Jet makes a nice sturdy fabric and I think they'll be nice and warm.


I'd be quite keen to make myself a pair and maybe even modify to make smaller ones for N2 and BabyM...........oh for more hours in the day.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are just adorable - I think I might have to make a pair for myself!

I admire yo for making all your own gifts, but I decided that as of this year I am not making anything for antone unless I know they will appreciate the effort I put in.

Sharonnz said...

Our Knitworld has some Fiber Trends patterns. The ballet slippers are so CUTE!

sweetp said...

Really Sharon? Must go look tomorrow. I'll be gutted if they are there for less than $25!!!! LoL.

Anonymous said...

they are so cute! even tho i'm grown up i still love all things ballereina!hope she enjoys them.

Carol said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the slippers. I wish my floors were that clean!

Anonymous said...

Oh she has little Minnie Mouse slippers! So cute!

Aunt Kathy said...

The slippers are wonderful. I especially love that they are PINK, lol

Unknown said...

These are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Wicked cute slippers. Felt makes all things so adorable (unless... um... you didn't *mean* to felt, in which case, it's hideous!!!) <-- speaking from experience here

Sue said...

Oh they are absolutely adorable.

Denise said...

They look super comfy, and I love the pink.

Sam said...

so cute! Jet felts beautifully doesn't it? Makes a lovely dense fabric.

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhh! so cute!!!

Anonymous said...

cutesy ballerina :)