Monday, February 2, 2009

Needle Felting

Its swap central around here at the moment. I'm in the middle of the sending season for 3 different swaps (the organised group type ones). The only one I've managed to send off so far is my "Pincushion Swap".


I was a bit hesitant signing up for this one as I don't sew so was limited to knitting something (was originally planning on knitting a cupcake with "pin sprinkles" on the top). That was until I got Complete FeltMaking (Gillian Harris) out of the library. What an amazingly inspiring book! Lots of great instructions for making all different types of felt. I've wanted to try needle felting for some time, especially after seeing Julie's fantastic needle felted angel and the clever creations of Sharonnz and Nova.

So I gave it a go.... and was surprised at how easy and fun (and ever so slightly addictive!) it is....

Needle felted hearts

And it just so happened the book had a pattern for a needle felted pincushion, so this is what I made for my swap....

Pincushion (size)

Pincushion

And here it is next to the picture in the book. I don't think I did too badly for a first try
Pincushion (next to pattern in book)

It was a lot of fun (except it hurts like a %$#* when you stab yourself with the needle!!!!) and my person seemed to really like it which is the main thing! I don't think this will be the end of my needle felting adventures!

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

Very Cuuute! Always fun learning something new. Hope M1 has had a great first week back to school. x

Sharonnz said...

Very pretty! I've got a great new needle-felting book now - check the link in my side-bar atm. It is a LOT of fun eh?

Nova said...

iiii knnnooowww!! it is fun huh? :D and very intuitive i found..

those look gorgeous! if 90% of my friends didn't read your blog i would SO copy them ;p

Normatika said...

love your heart pincushion! I'll definitely have to check out Gillian Harris' book.

Rose Red said...

awww, sweet!

Claudia Bugh said...

Oh. I Heart that! Your pincushions are too cute ~ you have a lucky swap partner :)))

Heart Felt said...

Love the hearts....sweet pincushion, well done. xx

Anonymous said...

WOW that is beautiful Gabes! Well Done :D

Anonymous said...

Lovely pincushion :-)

Denise said...

The pincushions look lovely, your swap partner is going to be well pleased :-)

Amy said...

Those pincushions look great. You must be a natural at this felting thing.

Mary said...

Happy Waitangi Day! The heart pin cushion is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Lovely - what a great idea for a gift!