Friday, February 6, 2009

Testing Kaia

I have a friend who is the queen of knitting little cute dresses and tops for her much adored little girl. Every one she has knitted is just so sweet. Eventually all this little girl knitting led her to making up her own pattern for a very cute little girl top....

The Kaia BabyDoll

kaia3

She asked me if I would help her test knit the size 2 pattern. And of course an opportunity to help a friend and knit something summery and sweet for M1 was an opportunity I wasn't going to pass on.

At this point I'll apologize for the photo heavy post I'm about to subject you to. The light was good, the subject was being adorable, the top is so lovely it deserves a few extras!

kaia closeup colour

I used Paton's Smoothie to knit this. Both balls I picked up at my LYS in the clearance/end of lines bin for half price and I had always intended to do a summery something for M1 with it since there was only 2oog. I do like this yarn. Its acrylic but I think its lovely for a summery yarn. A teeny bit splitty but the overall result is lovely and smooth (funnily enough).

kaia4

The pattern is a lovely design. The bodice is knit with 2 strands held double (ala the ballet tee) which gives it quite a bit of structure (and bonus you don't have to do too many repeats before its the right size!). The Smoothie is quite a thick DK (I think its more like a light worsted myself) so the bodice on mine is a bit bigger than what the pattern intended - no worries for me as this will definitely do 2 summers. I think some of the other testers used Bendigo cotton which is much thinner - probably a better choice.

kaia5kaia profile

The skirt is knit just on one strand. I love the length of this on M1. She's rather rounded and quite big for her age, that combined with a cloth nappied derriere means I do have an awful time finding pants that stretch enough to fit her!! Tunic length tops and leggings underneath have been my choice for her this summer. And this top looks just gorgeous with the black ribbon and black leggings under.

I was a naughty test knitter and didn't do the lace bottom the pattern actually calls for - its very sweet but I seem to be lace challenged (even dead simple lace) so I just did a 3 row ruffle instead.

kaia back view
M1 and our impressively tall bean plant

At the moment the pattern is up for sizes NB-12mth. I suspect the size 2 version won't be too far away either. Georgie you can queue the pattern here ;)

As far as cute summer tops go I think this one rates right up there. Well done Rach!


kaia2

19 comments:

Linda Jordan said...

OMG, that top is absolutely adorable and M1 is also. Totally cute in it. The colours are gorgeous on her. I have never attempted to knit lace designs myself so would probably have done the frill as you have. Totally gorgeous knit.

Aunt Kathy said...

Oh I wish I had a little girl to knit for, that is just the cutest design

Sue said...

Oh she does look gorgeous in the top. I love the Smoothie DK yarn too and have made Isabelle a top out of the bottom color which knits up beautifully and washes well too. I just put mine in a lingerie bag on a gentle cycle in the machine and it comes out perfectly. I love the little leggings with the top too, they are always great for little girls to wear.

Nova said...

very cute!! and she is *such* a grown up little lady now! gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

What an absolute sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Love your version and the bright colours - such a delight :)

Anonymous said...

Super cute! I love the ruffled bottom.

Abby said...

The top is so sweet. The colors are lovely. I especially love the photo where she's leaning towards the camera. =)

Rose Red said...

that is so sweet!! She's just adorable! No wonder you took so many photos!

Heart Felt said...

From one heavy photo poster to another....Your photographs in this posting are just stunning! xx

hanna said...

Gorgeous!

Unknown said...

Adorable indeed! Wow you are a very experienced and clever knitter working all that out. Glad to have discovered your lovely blog -Lies

Cut&Alter said...

I can't believe how much your adorable little girl has grown up! The top is just lovely and leaves me somewhat jealous, yet again, that I can't knit!!!! x

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, these pictures were such a treat - thanks for sharing them! Just too much cuteness!

Jennynz said...

Its lovely! And your model is extremely cute!

Anonymous said...

This dress is soooooo adorable!!! I would like to knit a big one for adult size for myself

Georgie said...

*snort* I'm already there! I love it and I might ven be a *total* copycat and use smoothie too ;-)

You have one gorgeous super-model there.

Anonymous said...

Love the top and your wee darling looks so grown up. The colours are gorgous on her :-)

saffic said...

Hey there, Just love what you have done with this pattern. A friend found this and has asked me to make her something similar. Can you please tell my how you did the bottom ruffle? Would really appreciate it. Thanks