Wednesday, April 8, 2009

FO: Robin Hood Jacket

robin hood2

This pattern has been on my 'one day I AM going to make this' list for a very long time. I'm still very smug about finding the book (Adorable Knits for Tiny Tots by Zoe Mellor) for a fantastic price recently, only a few weeks later and I've finally made the jacket I have admired for so long.

robin hood1

To begin with I was very intimidated by all the cables but actually they weren't so bad. Yes there are lots but nothing tricky. I used stitch markers between the panels which helped immensely. It was a really fast and fun knit, and not at all taxing or brain draining like I thought it might be.

robinhood5

I used Cleckheaton Country 12ply. I nabbed 6 balls for $1 ea on sale (score!) but then ran out of yarn (don't I always??!!) - the pattern said 6 balls but I forgot to check yardage and of course the CC was less than the recommended yarn. Luckily I found a local store with some and ended up going a little way into my 8th ball.
Which to me sounds like a LOT of yarn. I used a little over 10 balls of the same yarn making my adult sized FLS!! So to those who might like to make this jacket too....those cables and that hood really do eat up the yarn!! Buy more than you think you'll need!!

robinhood7

I'm really pleased with how this turned out. I didn't make any modifications - just cast on for the 1-2y size but used the length for the 2-3y size since my gauge was off a bit. M is 20mths so I was wanting the 2-3y size in the hope it will fit again next winter. It's a fairly looseish fabric (squishy and warm) with plenty of stretch so I'm hopeful she'll get 2 winters out of it. I think I would have liked maybe an inch more in length but I actually haven't blocked it yet so when I do I may see if I can ease it out a little bit lengthwise.

robinhood6

I am really very pleased with this actually and forsee much wearing of this jacket this winter! Functional, warm and so damn cute. And fun to knit. Always a winner combo!

26 comments:

Mary said...

She looks so sweet in her gorgeous new sweater!!! Lovely!

Carol said...

Beautiful, so warm and cozy looking! and the colour is perfect on her! :)

Normatika said...

Gorgeous jacket and the colour is lovely too!

Bells said...

Awww. The little cherub!! Well done. that was a hungry garment. Wow!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

So adorable! Love the cables and the color. I hope you get a lot of wear out of it!

Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

It's sooo cute on her!!!! That is one adorable knit. Well done and the pics are really sweet too :)

Jo's Place said...

Stunning, looks so nice, warm and snuggly, love the colour as well. You are such a talented knitter

earnest hemming said...

Gorgeous!

J

Anonymous said...

It's projects like this that make me want to knit more so I can get to a level where tackling a jacket like that is actually achievable! Completely gorgeous (jacket and model), love the colour too.

Julie said...

Awwww how cute does little M look in this!!!!! It turned out really well and I love the colour, perfect for birghtening up a dull winter day. She is definitely gonna be toasty warm this winter....X

Jennynz said...

Its stunning! I love it!

Anonymous said...

What a lubbly lubbly colour! And doesn't Miss M look so big now :)
Well done hun...it's so nice to do something you have had your eye on for a while

Sonia said...

So cute! Glad it wasn't as hard as you thought it might be--that's always a nice surprise!

Nova said...

ohhhh so scrummy!!!

lucy said...

cables and fuschia! what a little girls dream knitwear. she looks happy!

Heather said...

Stunning. Both the jacket and wee M.
Great to see this knitted up as I am just waiting for wool to arrive to start one for Finny.

Rose Red said...

this is great - great pattern, great colour, and so very cute!

Aunt Kathy said...

Well it looks mind boggeling and draining to me, beautiful, I want one. But will I ever believe I can???

SarahandCaleb said...

Ohhh I have often looked at this pattern in the book and been ever so tempted to start but scared I would never finish! Its lovely!
P.S. can I ask you how you got the really cool gadgets - i.e. the "whats on my needles" one!

sweetp said...

Hi Sarah, its linked to my ravelry account :) There are instructions on there how to do it otherwise email me and I can give you the links

Miss Smith said...

That jacket is so very sweet and lovely! I especially love the wee tassle on the hoodie part.
Much sympathy re. the skein business. I just fought, and lost, with a skein of raspberry wool, and it made me very cross.

Leonie said...

It's gorgeous, what a lucky girl to have such a clever mum.

Lynne said...

Gorgeous jacket, cute kid!

Another book I'll have to add to my wishlist! *sigh*

[Came in from Bells blog re 'dead muppet fur']

Mama Bird said...

This is gorgy! Cant wait to start my Ava's one!

Anonymous said...

you have inspired ;) have yarn have pattern now to finish the latest knit adn then to cast on :D

Cut&Alter said...

Very late to comment I know but this is sooooo gorgeous!!!! I'm just now catching up with some blog reading - really must think about doing some blog posting too!! x