Saturday, June 13, 2009

Clapotis

This was the project which inspired me to finish up all my UFO's this month - I finally got to the point where I really just wanted it done and finished up in time for winter.... (not to mention wanting the use of my long cable and all my stitch markers again)

Started in January and finished in June, it was a bit of an epic knit. But well worth the wait, I'm very pleased with the finished product

P6131579

10 balls of Vintage Hues 12ply on 6mm needles makes for a HUGE, soft and squishy blanket sized clapotis. About twice as long and wide as the pattern specifies. I really wanted a blanket or wrap sized "shawl" to snuggle under, and I certainly got it. She measures 250cm long and 80cm wide (or if you prefer about 100inch by 32inch).

P6131551

I didn't particularly enjoy knitting this and found it a bit tedious to be honest, which is funny considering I do normally like a good run of stocking stitch for knitting with kids or TV. I did enjoy the dropping of the stitches and once I got through the straight section it was pretty fast to finish, however I don't think there will be anymore clapotis in my knitting future.

P6131584P6131589


A stupidly large number of people have knit this, it's almost like a knitter's rite of passage and I can see the attraction - the resulting fabric is lovely to look at with the added bonus of looking more difficult than it really is. The Vintage Hues did cool things with each ball and the interesting colour changes kept me at it, even when the tedium of upteen pattern repeats was driving me up the knitting wall.

P6131561

If I could "dedicate" a knitting project then this one would go to my Mum. Going to holiday at her house for a long weekend and not taking any other projects was the main reason this is finally off the needles. And of course the endless dramas I had with the yarn - running out of a yarn thats been discontinued before you finish it (perhaps a lesson there in not procrastinating on your projects?) is never a good thing but Mum came to my rescue not only once but twice, sending me more yarn. So thank you Mum!!! It was the beautiful clapotis that she knitted for herself that inspired me to make one of my own too so I do really have to thank her for this one xx

P6131581

I shall certainly be warm and snuggly these cold winter evenings!

As well as knocking off another one for "June is for Finishing" I'm also counting this as NaKniSweMoDo#6 , I know its an oversized scarf and not a sweater however 12 BIG things was my aim for this year and with as much as wool as a sweater (and as much labour) I'm counting this as one of my 12. I figure its my Knit-Along I can cheat if I want!

22 comments:

Cut&Alter said...

That's just awesome and the colours are beautiful! It certainly does look difficult to me! I've just finished a blanket today - taking motivation from you - many thanks!!! x

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I'm freezing tonight and that made me feel warm just by looking at it.

Rebecca said...

ADORE it.

It will be used sooo much in chch

Diane said...

Your clapotis is beautiful! I made mine large like yours too. It's so warm and snuggly Nice work!

Anonymous said...

That's beautiful! It looks so cozy.

Krista said...

Ohhh....What lovely yarn! It is just perfect for the clapotis!

Anonymous said...

So pretty, beautiful colours. xx

Rose Red said...

I love the clap - love the size especially, and it really suits you!

I loved knitting mine so much I'm making one in laceweight - which to be honest is not such a great idea, it's been hibernating for a while!!

Lynne said...

It's gorgeous - I love the colourway and the luxurious size!

I've made only one Clapotis [for a friend's 50th birthday] in NZ yarn! Like we don't have enough sheep here too!

Bells said...

Fabulous. This is a beautiful one! Well done. they are a bit tedious aren't they? One of those 'glad to have it done' jobs.

I'm still doing the finish projects in Juen thing, just haven't posted yet!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Beautiful!! And I figure that you can easily count that as a sweater :)

Julie said...

Oh my goodness, it's massive, no wonder it took you a while!!! It is absolutely gorgeous, I love it and judging by how cold my poor little feet are today, you are going to need it!!! You have also reminded me to go and do my meme..X

Anna said...

I love the colours on you - it looks like it will not only be warm but cheerful too this winter! I do think that sometimes the knits that we get the most wear out of are not always the most fun to knit. Hopefully you will get lots of use out of this!

amanda said...

beautiful and cosy! Lily's just knit a mini-clapotis in Louise Harding Grace.

Mindy said...

It's gorgeous, and you can definitely count it as a sweater.

Mary said...

Gorgeous! :D

Miss Smith said...

You know what? Until reading this post I'd never heard or seen the word "clapotis". I think your over-sized blankie clapotis scarf looks delicious, and now I am on a mission to work the word "clapotis" into every day conversation because it is so darn catchy.

Unknown said...

It really is very very pretty, so well done for sticking to it and finishing!!!
Lies

Jen said...

That is just beautiful! I wish they hadn't discontinued that yarn...it's one of my favourites.
Great stuff :-)

J

Sandra said...

Wow! That is very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

It looks so good! Well worth so much work.

Anonymous said...

oh well done! Your clappy is beautiful!

She does get a little tedious towards the end though, doesn't she?

Enjoy wearing it, looking at the weather you guys are having, I'm sure it's been put to good use already!