Thursday, June 18, 2009

Progress

June is for Finishing continues...

One of the things I wanted to finally get done was the scarf for DH that I had intended to make him last winter. Man wool has been in my stash patiently waiting for a whole year. He decided a new winter beanie would be better than a scarf, and so with stitch dictionary and calculator in hand I cast on last night. I am hoping this will turn out as a new pattern.

P6191599

Since I am making such good progress on getting those unfinished things tidied up I allowed myself to cast on for something new. Not to mention of course that something new allows me to procrastinate even longer on the biggest UFO of them all - the blanket! The yarn is the Fruit salad sock yarn that I received for a Secret Santa swap late last year and the pattern is Outside In from the latest Knitty. The leg part went quite well but I've done something very very wrong on the after thought heel and will have to rip that out and start the heel again I think. This is quite a challenging knit and in hindsight was probably a bit above my rather limited sock knitting experience. I'm feeling reasonably resolute to continue on despite the setbacks but don't expect to see sock #2 any time soon! I'm trying to ignore the small voice in my head thats telling me to rip the whole thing and do something easier!

P6191605


Local yarn store has their winter sale on now, which was rather disappointing and nothing much appealed to me, but I did buy a sweater's worth of this DK yarn. Its more brick red than fire engine red. I've got as far as pouring over patterns in my queue and trawling Ravelry for something suitable. Maybe Buttercup or possibly Gathered Pullover. I was also thinking about Tangled Yoke and Coraline but the majority of things I've made for myself so far have been cardigans (and I have at least 2 more definite cardy style knits organised for my nakniswemodo remaining 6 sweaters) I think this time I'll go for something in the round.
P6191608

If you've got any recommendations I'd love to hear them!

9 comments:

Libby said...

Must be the weather for knitting hubbies hats, I started one today too. Love that sock yarn - what gorgeous shades! Just the weather to be inside knitting I say!

Anonymous said...

Come on chickee....get back to that blankie! You're so so very close! I've got a knit I don't want to do either.....a pinwheel cardy for a 3yr old that I promised someone months ago. Sigh. Like you I am procrastinating by CO a multitude of other things ;)

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to knit Ian a scarf for winter - but he's not so sure he would wear it......so please a photograph when you are finished so I can convince him!

Julie said...

Oooooooooo knit the Coraline...... I love this cardigan, it's so pretty and has been on my to do list for a while. If you knit if first then I can come to you for advice!!!! I even have the yarn for it as I bought some 8ply at Spotlight thinking of the Garter Yoke Cardigan, but it's actually 10ply so silly me for not double checking first. Oh well yarn was super cheap. Hope you had a great weekend, all sick here, so lot's of FUN!!! X

Celeritas said...

Outside in looks really really pretty. I love bright colors, that pops!

Nova said...

liking the sock! go'on you can do it!! (and the 2nd ;) )

i'm finding Corona a really nice knit, just struggling to make the sleeves longer but not silly looking on my matchstick arms lol! can't wait to see what you choose!!

Rose Red said...

I love all of the patterns you mentioned...isn't it hard to choose when there are so many great options (sorry, I know that wasn't very helpful...)

I also love your inside out sock, keep going, I know you can do it!!

Anna said...

I love the Gathered Pullover, I think it's a really nice design. The sock looks great too!

Skein said...

I love all those pattern ideas! I know its so hard to choose with all those great patterns being available! Cant wait to see what you choose to knit.